Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Admiral's Penniless Bride By Carla Kelly

The Admiral's Penniless BrideThe Admiral's Penniless Bride by Carla Kelly
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think Ms. Carla Kelly has found herself a new fan in me ^^ I just loved it since the first page, I couldn't stop I practically finished it in hours and that's a new record for me.

Charles was a nice adorable character, hook and all. it's true his impulsive move to propose to a total stranger wasn't common at all, but it was the first step to a great life. Even though he was self-conscious about his age, he didn't sound the 45 yrs old man, it's my first time reading or thinking of 45 yrs old man as not that old, with his wit and humor I started imagining him in his mid-twenties. His humorous banter with his wife was a huge part of what I loved about this book. The only think I didn't like about it was his reaction and behavior when he discovered the truth, but I realized it was the blindness created by rage, because he realized his mistake afterward. I started crying waterfalls when he first got mad at her, then when went to her and started reading the letter she left him, and his reaction afterward, how he grieved and such. I also liked the fact that he didn't hesitate to cry in front of his wife, or admit a moment of weakness. Plus I cried buckets when his sister Dora showed up and pulled him to rights, that scene sent one thought to my head that was so endearing that kept playing in my head over and over "No matter how old he was he will always be her little brother, and she his big sister"

Sophie was as she and her husband described her an Angel, her whole attitude throughout the book was perfect, endearing, charming, kind and lovable. I loved how she bantered with him, both of them were s witty and humorous that I was chuckling throughout most of the book. I liked how she cared about everyone she crossed baths with, like the governess, the small girl: and it was my first time reading in a book the ugly reality of some of the penniless homeless children at the time and I'm sorry to say that there are still many sick people in this world who use innocent children and rid them of their innocence in such an early age. Even though Sophie's situation and story wasn't as dire as some I have read in other books but it left me sobbing, the author just had a way with words and emotions that left you feeling even if the feelings weren't stated in letter but in actions she described.

- I have to admit I hated the butler/valet, at first I thought she would have a pirate-like friend, and at some point I actually thought he might be jealous of her because maybe he was gay or something. But anyway what he did was just over the line, it's not like he was the one marrying the women so why all the investigation.

Overall, *thumps up* A great story and definitely worth reading

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment